Change of Name Deed – How can I change my name?

Posted on March 15th, 2024 in News.
Change of Name

An individual may choose to change their name for any number of reasons, including reverting to a previous name before a divorce or dissolution is finalised, or if they do not feel it reflects their personal identity or gender. While everyone has the right to legally change their name, most organisations and institutions will require documentary evidence of this.

What is a Change of Name Deed?

A Change of Name Deed is a document drawn up by a solicitor and then signed and witnessed, which can be provided to relevant organisations and institutions as evidence of a formal change of name.

Is it the same as a name change through Deed Poll?

There are very few instances where a Change of Name Deed would not be accepted, and indeed, there is a shift away from Deed Poll for a number of reasons. Whilst a Change of Name Deed is the more expensive route, application through Deed Poll is a slow process which must go through the Royal Courts of Justice. A Change of Name Deed is quick; once the Deed is signed and witnessed by a solicitor, the name change takes effect, and you can simply provide the certified copies to the relevant bodies without having to register it through the Court system. In addition, under the Deed Poll process, both previous and new names are placed on the public record, which may present a risk to the anonymity of transgender individuals, or those escaping domestic abuse.

Can I change my child’s name?

We do provide Change of Name Deeds for children, but these are subject to certain restrictions. To change the name of a child under the age of 16, all parties who have responsibility for the child must consent to the change and sign the Deed. Parental Responsibility is held by:

  • anyone named on the child’s birth certificate or adoption certificate
  • a father who is married to or in a civil partnership with the child’s mother (or was at the time of birth)
  • for same-sex couples, both will have parental responsibility if they were civil partners at the time of the treatment, e.g. donor insemination or fertility treatment.
  • anyone granted Parental Responsibility by the Court

Parental Responsibility can only be removed by way of a Court Order.

16 and 17 year olds can legally change their name without parental consent, unless there are specific Court Orders in place, including Child Arrangements Orders, Residence Orders, Special Guardianship Orders, or Care Orders.

The process and costs

Information can be taken via phone or email, and the majority of the work can be done prior to your appointment. Once the Deed has been drafted, we will contact you to arrange an appointment for you to come in to provide us with the required ID and sign the Deed in the presence of a solicitor. We will retain a signed original, and provide you with a signed original, and 4 copies for your own use.

Our costs for drafting and executing the Deed are £150 plus VAT (£180 total). If multiple Deeds are being drafted at the same time (e.g. parent and child or more than one child), the first Deed will be charged at £150 plus VAT, and subsequent Deeds will be charged at a discounted rate of £100 plus VAT.

To further discuss Change of Name Deeds, or to instruct us to draft a Deed, please use the Contact Us facility, and we will be in touch.

Newport Office

36 St James Street, Newport, PO30 1LF

01983 524741

01983 556088

Freshwater Office

Avenue House, Avenue Road, Freshwater, PO40 9UZ

01983 752492

01983 754247